Mary Watkins’ Soul of Remembrance


This February, the Daily Classical Music Post celebrates Black composers and musicians whose music has been suppressed and ignored. All of these musicians should be added to the music history and music theory curriculum.

https://youtu.be/by0xgq_Pu8k


Mary Watkins (born 1939) is known for her jazz works as well as classical compositions. She began studying music when she was four, and her earliest compositions date from when she was eight. Watkins said, “I started this musical journey in Pueblo, Colorado, as a little piano student. I was not quite four years old and didn’t have any idea why I was being given piano lessons. . . . From the very beginning I was admonished to confine my piano playing to the written notes on the page because it was of great importance that I be ‘literate.’ . . . For that reason, I was not interested in piano lessons though I did as I was told. Not until I dared to cross that forbidden line (using my ear), did I really become interested in music.”


She received a degree in composition from Howard University and then performed with jazz combos in and around Washington, DC. A few years later, she moved to the West Coast and formed her own jazz quartet. Her classical compositions include chamber and orchestral works as well as operas. Her opera based on the story of Emmett Till is scheduled to premiere some time in 2021.


When asked in 2016 what her proudest moment had been to that date, Watkins said, “It was in 2009 when I was in Chicago standing in the corridor outside the auditorium. I heard the orchestra rehearsing the second movement of my suite for orchestra ‘Five Movements in Color.’ The music wasn’t flashy, technically challenging, or anything like that. It was serene, beautifully executed, and I let go of whatever it was I had been holding on to. It was the first time I really felt validated as a composer.”


That second movement, Soul of Remembrance, is indeed serene, but it is so much more than that. John P. Varineau said, “Mary Watkins wrote Five Movements in Color on commission from the Camellia Orchestra in Sacramento, California. Intended to be part of Black History Month, she called the work ‘a statement about the African-American experience’.”  Watkins described Soul of Remembrance: “A melody floats over a march. I saw my own people in their long march to fully express themselves as fully human. It’s bittersweet and nostalgic, a song of sorrow and a song of hope.”


My classical music post for today is Mary Watkins’ Soul of Remembrance.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

William Byrd's "The Battell"

Edmond Dédé’s Chicago, grand valse à l'américaine

Lili Boulanger’s Vieille Prière Bouddhique